To Advance the Success of Minnesota’s Dairy Producers
Since 1977, Minnesota Milk Producers Association has been the grassroots organization for Minnesota's dairy industry. Our strength comes from members working together and focusing on three key areas:
Taking timely action to support or oppose issues impacting our members.
Providing programs that further the professional goals of our members.
Creating more opportunities for our members to prosper.
All three are vital to the future of Minnesota's dairy industry and we are more active and aggressive today than ever before.
Goals and Objectives
Improve and build upon a positive business climate for dairy in Minnesota
Showcase that Minnesota is a great place for dairy.
Maintain and build brand recognition of Minnesota Milk.
Maintain fiscal responsibility to our members.
Accounting, Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Provide monthly financial statements and cost center reports to staff by the 15th of each month.
- Present financial statements with analysis to board members at each board meeting.
- Process invoice payments to vendors and voucher payments to board members in accordance with the Invoice Payment Procedures.
- Manage the cash and certificate of deposit balances to keep sufficient liquid funds to meet cash flow needs, while investing the remaining funds in FDIC-insured certificates of deposit or savings accounts.
- Coordinate the annual financial audit to ensure a clean opinion and minimal management letter comments, in time for presentation at the Nov. board meeting each year.
- Coordinate preparation of the IRS Form 990 tax return and the State of Minnesota Annual Report Form. File the Form 990 with the IRS by Feb. 15 each year. File the State of Minnesota Annual Report Form, with a copy of Form 990, with the Minnesota Office of the Attorney General by Feb. 15 each year.
- Prepare and file the State of Minnesota Annual Nonprofit Corporation Renewal report with the Secretary of State by Dec. 31 each year to ensure that the organization is always in Good Standing status.
- Coordinate the annual business insurance renewal for general liability, Director’s and Officer’s insurance and board member travel accident insurance to protect the assets of MN Milk.
- Review all contracts to ensure compliance with federal and/or state laws, and to minimize potential liabilities.
- Provide strong technology tools (for example, laptop, smartphone, wireless connection, and relevant software applications) to enhance the productivity and efficiency of each staff member working on MN Milk business.
- Attract and retain strong talent and leadership through competitive compensation and benefits.
The purpose of this committee is to identify audiences for membership and successfully enroll new members while retaining current members. This includes the coordination of tangible and intangible benefits that members receive by joining and supporting the organization by identifying (1) that there is a member need for the benefit, (2) that the benefit is unique and available to members only, and (3) that funds are available to cover the administrative costs of the benefit. This also includes opportunities for associate members to make sure they have a voice in the organization. This committee also develops communication networks to keep members and prospects abreast of Minnesota Milk’s activities.
- Provide current producer and associate members a return on their investment.
- Recruit new producer and associate members to strengthen our voice.
- Identify and develop future dairy producer leaders.
Maintain effective communications with producer and associate members to:
- Show value in membership;
- Increase participation in programs, events and initiatives;
- Increase support of the association.
- Publish and distribute effective printed, electronic and other communications to dairy farmers and industry leaders to ensure maximum impact.
- Assemble and distribute an Annual Report to membership prior to the Annual Business Meeting.
Increase general awareness and support for Minnesota Milk membership, programs, events and initiatives to advance the success of Minnesota dairy farmers.
- Maintain Minnesota Milk website with up-to-date content.
- Assemble and distribute the Minnesota Milk Minute e-newsletter.
- Publish and distribute printed, electronic and other publications in a timely fashion.
Producer Recruitment & Retention
Grow producer members while maintaining an active membership base.
- Leverage benefits to provide more value in Minnesota Milk membership.
- Coordinate and participate in on-farm meetings, recruitment gatherings, and industry meetings to solicit membership and communicate a return on investment to members.
- Process annual producer billings by December 15 with second notice sent by February 15.
- Personally contact each producer that does not renew by April 15 and document outcome in CRM.
- Develop and implement non-member recruitment communications and events.
Associate Recruitment & Retention
Grow associate members while maintaining an active membership base.
- Leverage benefits to provide more value in Minnesota Milk membership.
- Engage industry leaders to solicit membership.
- Collaborate with associate members on programs and initiatives of Minnesota Milk to enhance the return on investment to our members.
- Maintain up-to-date associate membership listing on the website.
- Process annual associate billings by June 15 with second notice sent by July 15.
- Personally contact each associate that does not renew by September 1 and document outcome in CRM.
Develop dairy producer and industry leaders to mentor the next generation for future success.
- Maintain the CRM with leadership information.
- Facilitate the Minnesota Milk Mentorship program.
- Facilitate the Minnesota Milk Producer of the Year award program.
- Facilitate the Minnesota Milk Post-Secondary Scholarship Program.
- Collaborate with existing programs to maximize our impact.
- Coordinate a Summer Escape opportunity for the dairy industry to network and develop future leaders.
The purpose of this committee is to develop and monitor Minnesota Milk’s resolutions, taking timely action to support or oppose issues that affect our members. This includes efforts to block unfavorable regulations and support favorable laws in state and federal agencies and in the legislature by communicating with everyone not directly involved with dairy.
- Improve upon a positive business climate for dairy in Minnesota.
- Showcase to elected officials and other influential thought leaders that dairy is good for Minnesota.
- Advocate for new and beginning producers.
Improve upon a positive business climate for dairy in Minnesota.
- Coordinate the 2017 Resolutions process for Minnesota Milk.
- Coordinate small gatherings with local, state and federal leaders to leverage support of Minnesota Milk initiatives.
- Coordinate tour(s) for state and national legislators and staff to build relationships and Minnesota Milk initiatives.
- Maintain relationship and involvement with allied coalitions, associations, etc. to maximize the impact for members.
- Maintain involvement and leadership role with the Minnesota Dairy Growth Alliance.
Leverage relationships with elected and appointed leadership, coalitions, other stakeholders, and our membership to support or oppose issues that affect Minnesota Milk members.
- Manage the contract for a Minnesota Milk lobbyist.
- Distribute timely legislative updates to membership, policy committee and board of directors.
- Coordinate Dairy Day at the Capitol in St. Paul with Meet and Greet Reception.
- Develop and implement at least 10 published, electronic or other communications during the year.
- Facilitate the Legislator of the Year program.
- Coordinate with cooperatives, coalitions, other Minnesota agriculture groups, and National Milk Producers Federation to ensure Minnesota Milk concerns are heard at the national level.
- Schedule meetings with at least 4 legislators and all 10 staffs for producers to share their story.
- Position dairy farmer leaders to provide input on federal legislation.
- Develop tools to ease opportunities for producers to communicate with legislators when pressing issues require comment or support/opposition.
The purpose of this committee is to foster relevant research and develop cost effective educational events that further the professional goals of Minnesota Milk’s membership and Minnesota’s dairy industry as a whole.
- Educate producers on why growing the industry in Minnesota is good for every producer.
- Assist members in accessing educational resources that thrive and grow Minnesota’s dairy industry.
- Provide new/beginning/transitioning members the tools and resources they need for successful entry into the dairy business.
- Help members share their successes and lessons learned internally and externally to help the industry thrive and grow.
- Foster dialogue to support relevant research and new ideas for Minnesota’s dairy industry.
Minnesota Milk Annual Business Meeting
Increase support of Minnesota Milk by highlighting accomplishments of the association while providing educational and networking opportunities for the industry.
- Coordinate the annual business meeting including the statement of financial position, election of directors, and approval of resolutions.
- Provide educational programming.
- Provide networking opportunities.
Dairy Research & Education
Enhance dairy research and education for Minnesota dairy farmers through leadership, assessment and collaboration.
- Direct and support the University of Minnesota on research needs of Minnesota dairy producers.
- Develop an outlet for dairy research and education collaboration throughout Minnesota.
- Provide educational programming on a regional basis.
- Support the initiatives of the Minnesota Dairy Growth Alliance.
- Develop opportunities for producers to engage and learn from one another.
- Develop and facilitate a Dairy Tour where participants can network and learn from other dairy farms.